UTC client V6 working with UTC server V3

Current config UTC server V3.3 UTC Client 3.3

We need to upgrade some clients to UTC client V6 and have a
couple of questions as we are a large site with many users

Can a UTC client 6 work with a UTC server V3

Can a UTC client V3 work with UTC server v6

Many Thnaks

Hello Robert,

Thanks for reaching out with your inquiry. I have provided answers below but feel free to hit us up for more details as needed.

Can a UTC client 6 work with a UTC server V3?
No, UTS client applications are not backward compatible.
So version 6.x clients only work with a current 6.x server.

Can a UTC client V3 work with UTC server v6?
Unfortunately version 3 clients do not work with a V6 server.
Extensis’ policy is to support clients one major version backward. So for example, UTS 6 server currently supports version 5 clients and above.
This provides our customers with approximately 2-3 years of uninterrupted service for client users before requiring an upgrade.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Cheers,
Chris Meyer
Extensis Font Solutions Team

Hi Chris
Thank you for the answers, sorry for the late response as I have been on holiday. We have a service agreement for support and upgrades to UTC. We will be upgrading from UTC 3 to 6 but require to test the upgrade first before deploying to live on a test system. Would it be possible to have UTC 6 server trial licence.

Thank You
Robert

Robert Anscomb

Senior Corporate Analyst

Publishing Support Team
Reed Business Information UK
Quadrant House
Sutton
SM2 5AS
0208 652 3690

Hello Robert,

We can absolutely help you with your migration from UTS version 3 to 6.
I will reach out to your account manager and have them email you the testing licenses you require.

Additionally, something our customers don’t always think about is that (with some prior coordination) our Support Team can be available to remotely assist on the day of upgrade should you experience any difficulty.

We want your upgrades to be flawless but realise that’s not always possible. Therefore making ourselves available when you’re working on it always seems to be the best way to contain any issues.

Just let us know your plan in advance and we can be on standby to help you out.

We really appreciate your business.

Cheers,
Chris
Extensis Font Solutions Team

Hi Chris
Just going through the upgrade procedure on our dev server
UTC server 3 – 4 – ok
UTC server 4 – 5 – ok
UTC server 5 -6 – problems
The installer gets stuck on

[cid:image001.jpg@01D202DD.6A518100]
I have tried to start the service with an admin account but get the following error

[cid:image002.png@01D202DD.6A518100]

Also in the event viewer log it refers to the following UTC_PG

The Universal Type Server service depends the following service: UTS_PG. This service might not be installed

Am I missing part of the install

Thanks
Rob

Robert Anscomb

Senior Corporate Analyst

Publishing Support Team
Quadrant House
Sutton
SM2 5AS
0208 652 3690

Hi Robert,

Without analyzing your installation logs it looks like the it may have failed because the Java service is not running.

(My speculation) It is possible during your upgrade between versions 5-6 that the Java service wasn’t properly shutdown before the installer began its work.

I would suggest you restart your server machine, run the UTS uninstaller first then restart again before attempting to run the UTS 6 installer again.
This should shut down and delete all of the old Java files before allowing the new installation to work.

If this doesn’t work let me know and we’ll work on plan B.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Robert,

Just checking in on you. Were you able to get past this issue?
If not I think our Tech Support Team can help you quickly.
Let us know.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris
No I have been going round in circles with 5 to 6 upgrade install, I have tried the following

1.   Back up DB on UTC 5

2.   Delete UTC 5 install including all files in the UTC folder

3.   Run the UTC 6 installer the web admin runs but the service has not started and the backup cannot be restored ( the UTC services will not run and does not report any errors in windows logs)

I have enclosed the webadmin.log

The Server is within spec

Also I have tried stopping the Java services as I believe this recommend in an earlier email but the installer hangs on the following

[cid:image002.jpg@01D20A87.8EC4CA90]

The windows log report

The Universal Type Server Web Admin service depends the following service: UTS_PG. This service might not be installed.

Thanks
Rob

Robert Anscomb

Senior Corporate Analyst

Publishing Support Team
Quadrant House
Sutton
SM2 5AS
0208 652 3690

Any update on this call as this was sent on Friday and have had no communications since
Regards
Robert
Robert Anscomb

Senior Corporate Analyst

Publishing Support Team
Quadrant House
Sutton
SM2 5AS
0208 652 3690