Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Using Find with locked vocabulary

An off the wall question on searching…

Is there any way when searching a field with a locked vocabulary (“Only allow keywords from this list”) to enter a portion of a vocabulary term? For example, I’d like to search just on the word red in the locked field. The word red appears in 8 terms in the vocabulary, but the pull-down in the search dialog box will only allow us to select the full terms, not manually key in an arbitrary term from a string. It doesn’t make sense to expand the search to include all 8 of these terms for the field.

This seems a bit limiting, is there any way around this? If not, can we add it as a feature request ?

Thanks.

You just select any value from the list and overtype it, then submit. With the Master Keyword List set to “only allow Keywords from this list” I can search for non-list values against Keywords in both the web and Desktop clients (v11.0.2).

Mark,

Forgot to say I’m on the Mac client. It will not allow us to overtype. Once a value is in, if you click back in, it brings the vocabulary back up. Any other thoughts?

-bruce

I was using the v11.0.2 client on OS 10.8.4. Works for me here (re-testing). Not sure why it doesn’t for you. Perhaps drop a line to support?

Thanks for the verification. I will contact support…

-bruce

Sorry it took so long to get back… Unfortunately Support verified that this action is working properly… Kinda makes building queries difficult, but maybe by using the vocabulary for the 1st pass, then keyword on the 2nd pass we can offer better searches to our clients.

-bc

You could not restrict to the list? Then you would have both the list and free text capability for searching. But it would also mean you have free text capability for tagging too, so possibly a reason why it’s not an option to you, I guess.

Otherwise, it does sound to me that it’s working as expected and you would need to log a feature request, explaining what problem it would solve and how it would help your workflow.

[quote=“CStevens”]You could not restrict to the list? Then you would have both the list and free text capability for searching. But it would also mean you have free text capability for tagging too, so possibly a reason why it’s not an option to you, I guess.

Otherwise, it does sound to me that it’s working as expected and you would need to log a feature request, explaining what problem it would solve and how it would help your workflow.[/quote]

Yes, we have locked the vocabulary because we need to restrict any variations that could be introduced. The list is the inventory of our light rail stations for all of Los Angeles, and was created using a concatenated string comprised of our official station name, the common public name, station # and the official abbreviation. A whole lot that could be lost if we allow free-text entry.

Thanks for the info on submitting a feature request, I’ll make sure to submit this querk.

-bc