Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Too many fonts listed

I’ve been steadily upgrading with Extensis forever and am now using Fusion 5 for Mac with Maverick. I upgraded last December and everything worked fine.

As an example, using InDesign CC, I would select a folder in my Font Library that included 3 fonts. I’d have 3 fonts listed under “Type” in IDCC. As of today, I have way too many listed in there even though I have a single folder selected. I have no idea where they came from or how to get rid of them.

I “think” they might be Microsoft fonts that have somehow got in there when I had to update Word. They mostly seem to be True Type.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

I’ve managed to clean out a bunch of fonts based on other forum suggestions. The problem has been alleviated somewhat. However, I still have a bunch of fonts that I can’t get rid of. Is there anyway to turn them off.

See the attached image. The only fonts activated in Fusion 5 are Frutiger, Myriad, Picto and Seans Symbols. Everything else shown (and that’s just what you can see in the screen shot) is activated too. Surely these all aren’t in the System Fonts folder?

What do you see under ‘system fonts’ in Suitcase? This area should reflect what you have installed in your system. If it doesn’t then you maybe have a corrupt font cache that you can clean using the feature within Suitcase. You can also check the location that active fonts are coming from using Apple System Information under the Software > Fonts section.

Hi – I did check the System Fonts in Suitcase Fusion 5 and the list pretty much matches up with the list I find in the System > Library > Fonts. I’ve also cleared my cache a few times as I worked through this.

Anyhow, I trashed all the fonts I didn’t need (left the Sys Fonts alone). Went to bed. Got up and now it seems to have cleared itself up.

Just wondering though – the System Fonts are viewable in InDesign CC when I only have one folder active in Suitcase. Is there anyway to turn those fonts off in Suitcase? See screen shot of font list in IDCC.

Thanks. Sandra

You can’t deactivate fonts located in /System/Library/Fonts/ as these are all required by the operating system to function.

As for the font menu in InDesign, this is something that is by design and it’s not possible for any application to change how font menus are displayed. The architecture of OS X prevents this from happening.

You can however, use the Suitcase Fusion 5 font panel within InDesign to browse only fonts within any of your font libraries in Suitcase Fusion 5 or create a Font Digest to show only fonts from selected Sets.

“You can however, use the Suitcase Fusion 5 font panel within InDesign to browse only fonts within any of your font libraries in Suitcase Fusion 5 or create a Font Digest to show only fonts from selected Sets.”

I assume I can do this by creating “favourites” in InDesign?