Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Suitcase Fusion 8. The update no-one wants

Seriously? Is there anything about this update that makes anyone’s workflow better? The most important, essential organization and functionality have been removed, to “make the interface cleaner”. No. Really, Extensis, no. Not only is the column view gone, but the main window also has more detail in it so you can’t scroll through fonts as quickly. Wish I had read these comments before buying. After decades of using this product, time to look for something new. Guess I’ll go back and live without auto-open (the only reason I updated to begin with). Terrible product. If you haven’t bought it yet, DON’T. Hopefully there’s something else out there.

Sadly, I’m with you. I played the Beta game, was thoroughly disappointed and kept thinking I was missing a preference or menu setting that would allow control of font displays. Who told the engineers that we want/need to see every variation of font style in a big window? Who told the marketing people to ignore the almost-unanimous thumbs down on new interface? Looks like I’m back to Fontbook? Does anyone at Extensis remember the simple elegance of good old Suitcase?

Also - am I being stupid, or is there now not even a way to open a family all at once? I see an opening for someone to develop a new, simple, font-management tool. Take a look at Suitcase a few generations back. Was great.

It’s at this point I find myself reminiscing over how much I miss Adobe Type Manager.

Simpler times.

I agree too. It really makes the workflow much more complicated and slow. I bought the update, because I wanted auto-activation to work with the new Version of Adobe CC. But it will be the last time, that I will buy an update just to get the plug-ins working again. FontExplorer is a great alternative (used it in an Agency I worked for 4 years) and cheaper.

My thanks to the brave souls who upgraded first to let others know what was missing/deficient. I waited primarily because I literally just upgraded to 7 in March. At least independents like Bohemian Coding’s team (Sketch) base free upgrade paths/eligibility for their software from the day of purchase.

The heading says this is for Mac OS X but I’m a Windows 10 user chiming in to agree…

I’ve called and written and now I’m adding my two-cents worth here: Bring back the column view. As everyone seems to complain, the new interface is incredibly cumbersome and time-wasting. Maybe it worked fine for the developers using a 500-font test collection, but as someone above mentioned, it does not work with a collection of thousands.

I am seriously disappointed; I cannot upgrade my laptop to CC2018 because I want to maintain the column view in Suitcase.

Please listen to your customers, Extensis. Make the Column View an option, at the least.

Please listen to us!

Column view is a must have, i was searching in the “View/Ansicht” attributes and thought you guys just forget them or i cant find the switch. But, it is just not there :frowning:

Please bring it back with an update. Thanks

I agree completely with CPN. This new version is not nearly flexible enough with respect to customizing the interface. The user is stuck between the SF way or the highway. This puts up too many roadblocks. The Info tab (inside the Info panel) has nothing to do with the preview experience so I don’t understand why it’s grouped with Preview, QM & Glyphs. I should be able to reposition it to another part of the screen. Taking away Paragraph mode prevents me from previewing title, all upper and all lower in one go. Not great for branding. Version 8 is too child proof.

I agree with CPN. Going through fonts is more time consuming and harder to read with the gray font names. There is no option to collapse a font and no way to activate an entire font family. Before you could do this, why on earth would you take that away? The search is not working correctly either. Sometimes it produces no results or you can’t activate the font from the search. I know CS6 is old, but plenty of people still need to use it. Sometimes I need it for special clients who refuse to use CC. Is it really that difficult to support it? I have also encountered crashing and errors on a couple of our other computers. This is the worst update to this program in years. There are some good additions but for the most part, this update has been nothing but a pain in the ass. I hope you add the old view as part of the viewing options.

I registered on the forums just to add my voice to the understandable and completely justified disbelief at Suitcase Fusion 8. I am genuinely baffled at what amounts to vandalism of key parts of the interface, not to mention an apparent lack of understanding of the way many people actually use Suitcase.

The key pain points as I see them:

• Loss of column view, both in terms of lower information density and also as a navigation mechanism for skipping through fonts by family rather than individual weights.
  • Inability to activate a whole font family in a single action (this one is unbelievable!)
  • The ‘info’ pane is a retrograde step in several respects. The small grey ‘i’ icon has low discoverability, the draw/accordion method of disclosing the information is very awkward, and the animation each time is clunky and distracting.
  • Making the attribute editor modal is a huge step backwards.
  • The UI redesign seems to have mistaken obscurity for simplicity. Lots of information is now tucked away in ways that are quite opaque and make the application harder to use.
  • As mentioned above, it feels like Extensis has lost sight of who their core customers are. Anyone who is going to spend $60+ every year on a font manager is doing it because it’s an essential part of their job i.e. they are design professionals. Design professionals have large screens - actually everyone has large screens now - but the UI redesign wastes this. Look at this image and think of how all that space could have been employed more usefully. Plenty of room for a list view, and live info/attribute panels. By all means, allow these panels to be collapsed for those who don’t need them, but the current design severely impedes those who do.

In short, it’s not at all clear who these changes were targeted at. Worse, whatever other benefits Suitcase Fusion 8 might have brought with it are now completely lost behind my everyday frustration of simply trying to do what I could easily do before.

I urge Extensis to rethink these changes and to take swift remedial steps.

Suitcase Fusion 8 – Features Request

Excellent post IanDavies. I just hope someone from Extensis is listening.

Given that there has been staff activity in other topics in the Mac category since your original post, but silence here, I suspect we might get ignored. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Did anyone wrote to the customer support?

I’ve just set up a new topic called “Features Request.” May I suggest that you reframe your pain points as features requests and post in the new topic?

Note: I neither work for nor have any relationship with Extensis and have no idea if they’ll read any of it, but perhaps we can be constructive with our collective outcry and get to the business of pushing them to reimplement important features that were lost.

I just upgraded to Fusion 7 a few weeks back and loved the new Type Sync feature. It actually made switching to a brand new iMac from my old MacBookPro seemless, and for that I was very grateful.

Unfortunately, this good experience left me perhaps a little too trusting, as I received an email this past week from Extensis offering a free upgrade to 8 for recent purchasers of 7. I quickly scanned the product page for 8 on the website (where there are no red flags warning of features being removed, only the “great” new addition of tile view and the info drawer with glyphs, font info, etc.). I was also excited about the Adobe CC 2018 plugin compatiblitiy, so I shrugged and said okay and went ahead with the download/install. Now I wish I hadn’t because the app is utterly unusable to someone like me who has nearly 7,000 fonts installed and organized.

Without the column view, how does one quickly find and activate the entire Univers font family, for example? None of the views (tile, list, or other) allow for a condensed view or view by family only. So the only option is scrolling for days or awkwardly grabbing hold of the scrollbar and manually dragging down to quickly get towards the bottom (even iOS has letters running down the side of Contacts to allow you to tap swiftly to the "U"s, but no such help exists here). Once I’m there, can I just click once and activate the entire Univers family? Nope, 27 clicks later on each individual weight, and I’m finally done. What once took a couple seconds to locate and activate, now takes the better part of a minute or more. That is the definition of poor user experience.

I’m also severely missing these key features:

• Keywords/Attributes/Info column (I assigned keywords for a reason, for quick reference of info for any selected font… now I have to click 2-3 times to view the keywords attributed to a font in a narrow scrolling edit window. I don’t want to edit, I just want to view what I originally assigned!)

• Resizing of font display (there is no way to do this for tile view or quickmatch any more. The quickmatch previews are so small, they’re entirely useless)

• Recolorizing font and background for previews

• Moving individual fonts into family folders (sometimes when you add a new font family to the library, the creator didn’t organize them correctly and each weight comes in as a separate family folder. I used to be able to manually drag each instance into one folder and rename. How would you do that now?)

• Previewing one font family at a time (I used to click on a family in the column view and then use up and down arrow keys to scroll through one family at a time which helped me focus and not be distracted by every other competing font. Also, I often prefer tapping keystrokes to scrolling or clicking for speed.)

My question now… is there a way to downgrade back to Suitcase Fusion 7 after I’ve already installed 8?

Hey folks,

I wanted to pop in and let you know that your feedback is being heard and I appreciate the constructive criticism. I have been collecting the feedback as it is coming in and we will use it in our future development.

I have noted all the feedback from this thread so far so in an effort to consolidate any new feedback I would encourage you to note any other comments or feature requests in the great thread that iodesign started here:

Feel free to send an email to ea_suitcase@extensis.com as well if you feel more comfortable providing feedback that way.

Thanks for using Suitcase Fusion!

Clint