Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Returning fonts to their original location

I have used SF4 with the «Copy added fonts to the Vault» preference checked. My mother tongue being French, I assumed that «copy» meant «make a duplicate» in the Vault, and english dictionaries seem to agree with that definition. Yet, I found the originals disappeared from the carefully arranged folder structure I developed over 20 years. Understand me: I’m talking about thousands of fonts (mine and those of my customers) that moved instead of being copied.

How do I undo this mess? I am sure that I’m not the only one with this problem: has anything been done to address this problem and correct this situation? If anyone has an answer (even partial), please answer me. I can’t believe I’ve wasted so much time without knowing. This certainly offsets the time savings of font management software…

Thanks to all,

Claude D.

Hi Claude,

The default procedure when fonts are added to Suitcase Fusion 4 is that the font is scanned and validated first before a copy is made within the vault. The original font files are left intact at their source.

This has been the same default procedure since the very first version of Suitcase Fusion released back in 2006 when the vault feature was first introduced.

If you’re experiencing a different behaviour and can replicate it consistently, please feel free to contact our support team.

Hello rcheung!

Thank you for stepping in, trying to help. I understand that replicating the problem might be a prerequisite for the support team, but I’m not about to attempt this anytime soon. It happened once and that’s enough for a lifetime. As to how this happened, your guess is probably better than mine. I purchased Fusion 5 and will try the same procedure, once I have straightened the mess AND created a backup copy of the whole system. If I encounter a similar problem, then I’ll be in a position to replicate it without pulling my hair out.

I’m probably more pissed at myself for not being cautious enough than I am at the software. Once again, thanks for trying.

C.