Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Portfolio Server and Netpublish and Wordpress on same server

I would like to deploy a test project in which we host a Wordpress site and integrate a Netpublish site into that. We are testing out some ideas to make our collection of images more available while keeping our branding and site aesthetic consistent across all pages. We need the ability to add dynamic content as well.

Is it possible install and use Portfolio and Netpublish on the same server as a hosted Wordpress site? In the installation instructions for Portfolio Server on Mac OS X Server, I noticed this: “You may need to disable other Web servers, especially if you configure Portfolio Server to use ports 80 and 443. On OS X Lion, turn off Web Sharing in System Preferences. On Lion Server and Mountain Lion Server, turn off the Web or Websites service using the Server app.”

Should we invest in two servers- one for Portfolio and one for Wordpress? How practical is that? I am not an IT professional, but I have hosted a personal site for many years. I now need to recommend a plan for my workplace, and it needs to work but be fairly simple (and inexpensive) to deploy for this small pilot project.

I think the key word in that quote was “may” Indeeded the guidance there should be read in conjunction with with the next section of the same Doc. I read the the whole thing as meaning “…if you configure Portfolio Server [via non-default settings] to use ports 80 and 443, …etc.”. I have not found a need in the past to turn off OS X Server web services. Indeed, I think NetPublish doesn’t work is web services are off (assuming Portfolio and NP are on the same server - which often they are, but don’t have to be).

I’d ask the question directly of (sales) support - i.e. “can NP and Wordpress run on the same OS X web server?” and “can both also be on the same server as Portfolio server?”. It should get you a more definitive answer, although there will be an element of ‘it depends’ unless you know exactly what assortment of WordPress extensions you may run.

Viewed from another -simplified - perspective, Portfolio Server is a Java-based system. The browser-based Server Admin and Web client apps need the Adobe Flash Player web browser plug-in at the user end and then talk to Portfolio’s own TomCat web server (discrete from the OS’s web server)

Portfolio Server uses (by default) ports: 1108, 1109, 2903**, 4453, 4454, 9455, 8090, 8091, 8093, 9877

** #2903 is used by the Desktop client (and also by Extensis Suitcase font apps if installed)

Portfolio NetPublish uses by default ports 8085 and 8086. One of these - I forget which (OS wiki services?) - conflicts with OSX on some systems. The nature of the conflict isn’t entirely clear, but if required, deconflict by changing both NP ports to non-default values of 8185 and 8186. N.B. even if only one service conflicts, still change both ports, and NP servers defined in the client app will need the port number added to the IP/DNS name (i.e. somesvr:8186, 123.456.78.9:8186).

Most smaller scale users tend to run everything on one server, others may split NP and Portfolio server simply due to network configuration or other needs. There’s no one-size fits all rule and you’ve not stated how big the asset set is.

Since circa version 10 NP fetches assets via Portfolio Server('s pOS permissions), rather than directly itself which makes it easier to configure is the two apps are on separate servers.

NP works, at the web server end, by adding virtual folders at /netpub (which accesses the NP ‘app’ calls) and /res (which gives URL access to all the NP sites, cache, globals, etc.). I doubt it should conflict with WordPress which is a PHP-based CMS using a mySQL backend database. Your web server will need to have mySQL running for WordPress. NP gets its data from Portfolio Server. If the latter uses mySQL catalogues they will be discrete from WordPress’. One point re mySQL if Portfolio Server and WordPress are co-located: Portfolio Server normally has precise restrictions on precisely which mySQL releases have been tested, ergo don’t just install the latest mySQ: release without checking first.