Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Moving from Suitcase to UTS - any way to migrate sets?

Hi, i’m trying to move a design firm from Suitcase to UTS. But the users are all very-long-term Suitcase users. They all have their own SETS that they rely on heavily.

I’m looking for a way to get the sets from each user’s suitcase into their install of UTS client. I don’t need to share these sets with everyone else - they’re just for personal use. But i do want only one set of fonts, on the UTS server, as is it’s purpose.

What can i do?

No easy way, but essentially you’d have to:

1. Collect each set from Suitcase to a folder with the same name as the set.
  2. Log in to UTC as a user, with rights to add/remove fonts.
  3. Drag and drop the folders, one by one, into the workgroup so that it adds the fonts and automatically creates a set with the same name as the folder.
  4. Revoke the user’s rights to add/remove fonts if you don’t want them to have that permission.
  5. Repeat for every user account that you have personal font sets that you wish to create.

For this reason, most customer’s I’ve worked with on migrations focus instead on migrating the font collections to the UTS workgroups, and simply let users recreate sets manually themselves, except perhaps for certain key ‘shared sets’ of fonts. It depends really on if you have the time and inclination to do the migration in full for each and every user. It is possible but it takes time as it’s a manual process.