Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan Compatibility

Hello there,

Customers have begun asking us what our compatibility story will be when Apple launches OS X 10.11 “El Capitan” later this month. So I thought I’d be proactive and provide information here so you’re not left guessing.

Officially Apple has stated El Capitan is coming on Wednesday, Sept. 30th.
apple.com/osx/elcapitan-prev … us-kwg-mac

Extensis has been testing Apple previews against our products and are aware of a few issues related to new OS security changes.
We have addressed these issues and plan to provide an update days after Apple releases its public release version on the 30th.
As always, we urge you to ensure all of your mission-critical applications are “El Capitan” compatible before moving to this new OS.
This will be a free update for licensed Suitcase Fusion 6 users.

I will continue to update this post on our progress.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns.

For additional details from Extensis visit our website page here:
blog.extensis.com/apple/extensis … apitan.php

Cheers,
Chris

An incompatible version of the plug-in framework was found

Hello all,

I just wanted to give you an update on our El Capitan OS X 10.11 support plans.

We have recently resolved some reported security issues and continue to test our software for compatibility with the latest El Capitan OS X 10.11 preview.
Assuming there aren’t any additional changes affecting functionality, we will release an update early the week of October 5th.
This update will be provided FREE for all Suitcase Fusion 6.

IMPORTANT: Please do not update your OS to El Capitan until all of your mission-critical applications are compatible.

I will provide an exact date update once El Capitan has been released.

Cheers,
Chris

Will the Font Panel bug finally be fixed in this release? It’s been present since version 5.

Hello proficient,

Unfortunately the fix for that (um, embarassing) mistake will not be in this update.
We bungled it up using the incorrect sized icon but since it doesn’t impact functionality we didn’t want to hold up our release any longer than necessary. We will however, look to resolve it in a future update.

Sorry for the trouble,
Cheers,
Chris

Hello all,

Here is a link to our latest Suitcase update compatible with Apple OS X 10.11 (El Capitan):
bin.extensis.com/SuitcaseFusion6-M-17-3-0.zip

We will “officially” launch on Tuesday, October 6th and notify Suitcase Fusion 6 customers via our in-application system and well as by email.

Let us know if you encounter any issues installing this version.

IMPORTANT: It’s recommended you undo any manual steps you’ve done to have previous versions of Suitcase work with El Capitan prior to installing this new version.

Cheers,
Chris

It’s still not working for me. When I click on a font, followed by the activate button, I get ‘Font activation failed to complete. This can be caused by a problem with your operating system.’ It then advises me to go to extens.is/fontactivation. I’ve done that and followed all the steps but it didn’t help. Fonts are neither auto- nor manual-activating.

Edit: as you can no longer repair permissions in El Capitan, I set up a root user account and used that and terminal to manually repair permissions. Unfortunately it didn’t make any difference.

Edit 2: I’ve been able to get Suitcase to work by setting up a guest account, so there is obviously something in my main account that is preventing it from working. I’ve tried all the clean up steps outlined in extens.is/fontactivation so any other advice would be appreciated as I’m all out of ideas.

Thanks for the update.
Installed it, all seem to work fine. The annoying error messages when starting Suitcase Fusion are gone now.

But…

Font activation failed to complete. This can be caused by a problem with your operating system.
For more information, please visit the following URL:

So, the update is not perfect yet

Will you please let me know what System fonts need to be in the Local, System, and User folder for El Capitan OS? Also, are there specific fonts that should be permanently activated?

All,

If you installed the update and are experiencing issues please contact our support team (support@extensis.com) for further assistance.
Many customers have already checked in and let us know the release is working as expected. Only a few are experiencing issues so we’ll want to investigate the specifics of each problem. So far we’ve resolved a few with Suitcase removal/reinstalls or fixing targeted permissions after the El Capitan upgrade.

I’ll monitor open support cases related to this release and fix any reproducible issues.

Cheers,
Chris

I have been in touch with an engineer who very kindly took a look at some of my Suitcase logs and he has come up with a solution that works for me.

Apple have become over-protective of how applications can access certain areas of the Mac. Therefore I removed all my fonts from Suitcase, then moved all my fonts physically into my user folder /Users/me/Fonts and re-added them to Suitcase. They are now opening without any problems.

For me - v17.3.0 still has issues with error ‘Font activation failed to complete. This can be caused by a problem with your operating system.’ iMac Retina 5k, 10.11, clean install although some of the fonts already included from a previous Fusion Vault back up do not feature this error - only fonts that I need to add either temporary or permanently to SF.

I updated my MacBook Pro this morning to OS 10.11 El Capitan and had the same activation/deactivation errors that others are reporting here with SuitcaseFusion 5. I upgraded to 6, then ran the 17.3.0 updater but it didn’t resolve the issues. I hope there’s another update soon!

Greetings,

I posted this in another thread and thought it would be valuable to repost here for visibility.

In El Capitan, Apple has changed how applications can access certain locations. This includes locking down access to much of the system. This is all in the interest of keeping users safe.

With these changes, we’ve come across an issue with activating certain types of fonts from any protected locations. This affects users who are adding fonts in place (rather than using the Suitcase Fusion Font Vault) from folders outside of their user accounts control (example Mac HD > My Fonts). There are two solutions to work around this issue:

Add your fonts to the Suitcase Fusion font vault. The vault, by default, is located under your user folder tree and will not be affected by this issue. This is our recommended solution.
Continue to add your fonts in place, but store them under your user folder. Mac HD > Users > [you] > My Fonts would be a fine location.
Note: If your font vault is set to live in a protected location you’ll still be inhibited by this issue. If in doubt, set your font vault location to the default of /Users/[you]/Library/Extensis/Suitcase Fusion/Suitcase Fusion.fontvault

Unfortunately, this is a change that is out of our control so our options are limited in how to address this. Luckily, the solutions are fairly straightforward.

Feel free to PM me directly if this does not resolve your issue. When doing so, I would like to know if you’re using the font vault or adding fonts in place. I’m also interested in the location of your font vault (you can determine this through Suitcase Fusions Preferences window) or where you are storing your in-place fonts.

Thanks!
Ryan C Brown
Extensis Font Team Quality Assurance

Thank you for investigating these issues and sharing the info. I’m hitting a wall with trying to de-activate fonts that aren’t in the Vault (in-place fonts) in order to re-activate them using the preference “Copy added fonts to the Vault.” I keep getting an activation error just trying to turn fonts off. Can you recommend anything?

Yesterday, I too got the error message:
Font activation failed to complete. This can be caused by a problem with your operating system.
For more information, please visit the following URL:

I actually launched Suitcase to find out why it wasn’t auto activating fonts and tried to activate one and got the error. Sent an email to the support address in this thread and after that, restarted my computer. And then everything was back to normal as it had been after updating to 17.3.

ALSO, any tips or clues as to how to deactivate/remove the overloaded system folder of unnecessary fonts?? Apple seems to have locked the System folder down pretty hard now!

I can confirm that v17.0.3 (Build 636887) is working fine for me and no error messages regarding conflicts. Thank you.

[quote=“CMeyer”]Hello all,

Here is a link to our latest Suitcase update compatible with Apple OS X 10.11 (El Capitan):
bin.extensis.com/SuitcaseFusion6-M-17-3-0.zip

We will “officially” launch on Tuesday, October 6th and notify Suitcase Fusion 6 customers via our in-application system and well as by email.

Let us know if you encounter any issues installing this version.

IMPORTANT: It’s recommended you undo any manual steps you’ve done to have previous versions of Suitcase work with El Capitan prior to installing this new version.

Crashes QuarkxPress on quitting… I did uninstall. Quark quits without crashing.

Cheers,
Chris[/quote]

I can also confirm that v17.0.3 (Build 636887) is working fine for me. However, activating or deactivating fonts is incredibly slow, and causes noticeable input lags and a system slowdown across all open apps. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am having the same issue Tony. I use Google Fonts alot… and trying to activate these is just painful it’s so slow. Also… I use QuarkXpress 2015 and now I have to disable the Extensis Fusion 6 extension as it’s causing Quark to crash… so now I can’t auto activate the fonts in my document, I need to manually activate them. A real pain in the proverbial also… :slightly_smiling:

Hopefully Extensis are working on a fix and will release it soon.

Regards,
Anthony

@ tonyinthecity,
Feel free to reach out with your issue to support@extensis.com so we can track more info about your computing environment. We are not getting global reports of activation/deactivation slowness but want to ensure our plugins are performing optimally. Any reproducible steps our support team can gather will help us identify the issues to be addressed.

@ CreativeAnto,
Quark’s latest 11.2 update in El Capitan has surfaced a couple of plugin issues that we are investigating. One of the issues reported is a crasher as you mentioned.
We will work closely with Quark to ensure our plugins work correctly with this latest release and then provide an update as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Chris