Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Issues With Photoshop Plugin and CS6

I just started using SF4 with Photoshop CS6 and I’m running into issues when saving files (due to the SF Plugin). I run Adobe Master Suite CS6 on a Windows 7 64bit operating system; Photoshop is running as 64bit.

On some files (mostly the larger ones) I’m getting the error (in addition Photoshop/the files that give this error also lag when opening and after recovering from the message):

“Could not save “filename” because the file is already in use or was left open by another application.”

These are large files; 100MB+. They have many layers, groups, smart objects etc. I was able to stop it on one file for awhile by duplicating the entire layers + groups to a new document (which is time consuming when working and a pain); however the issue then started popping up with that file too.

I know that it’s the SF Plugin that is “leaving the file open” because if I go into my Task Manager and kill the process fmcore.exe I am able to save those same troublesome files flawlessly (Photoshop also speeds up opening/saving those files).

It appears that SF is doing something to my file in the background (despite it being a file with just default windows fonts being used) and preventing Photoshop from saving. What is SF writing in the background that is keeping these files open when I’m not even using the plugin or custom fonts in those files?

Another way that I have read to stop the error is to rename the the “CoreFoundation_v11x64.dll” to “CoreFoundation_v11x64.dll_old” since that controls the auto activate plug-ins. With that file renamed the Photoshop plugin stops working without me having to end task the fmcore.exe. However, it does render the Plugin portion of my SF4 useless.

I really liked SF4 when I bought it just a short time ago and thought it’s features were really slick, however, if it comes down to being able to save my PSD’s or using the SF Photoshop plugin I’ll be choosing the “ability to save your files” option.

Is there any further information or resolutions on this? I also saw it mentioned on the Adobe Forums.

Additionally not sure if posting PC specs help but worth a shot. My Setup is as follows:

Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2 GHz
16 GB DDR3 Ram
AMD Radeon HD 6990
Windows 7 64-bit (Professional)
Intel 520 SATA III SSD as primary drive with 1TB Secondary Drive (SF4 is installed here)

Update:
Forgot to post that I also filled in their customer online Technical Support form regarding this issue. Haven’t heard back as of yet…

Update:

So Suitcase Fusion 5 was released yesterday and according to Extensis on Twitter SF5 fixes the issues with the plugin causing PSD saving issues and slow downs; which they also intend to roll fixes into SF4:

[quote]Creative.Collab ‏@creative_collab
@extensis does this new version solve the issues on your forums that many users were having with SF4 and PSD files not saving/slow plug etc?

extensis ‏@extensis
@creative_collab Yes, and we plan to roll some of those fixes into SF4 as well in a future update.[/quote]

I’ll believe it when I see it.
They just want us to handover another 62 bucks for the upgrade. They’ve already removed/censored my previous post about SF4 support for CC.

[quote=“etacarinae”]I’ll believe it when I see it.
They just want us to handover another 62 bucks for the upgrade. They’ve already removed/censored my previous post about SF4 support for CC.[/quote]

I’m waiting to see if it works as well; part of me is hopeful the other part wants to run for the hills and go back to FontAgent Pro (at least that worked). My copy of SF4 was very recent so I’ll be able to upgrade for free. I’ll definitely post back once the update is available to me to confirm if or if not it’s resolved my SF/CS issues.

Update:

I have upgraded to SF5 and have had no issues yet knockonwood with files loading slow or the plugin holding files open.

Files that were giving me problems before with Adobe CS6 and SF4 now appear to be working smoothly. It appears that SF5 fixes the issues with the SF4 plugin/speed as per their twitter comment.