Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Internet Access blocked after install

My laptop originally had Windows 8 (which had been updated to 8.1 and the spring update) and I had Suitcase installed with no problems. Today I blew away the whole machine and installed a clean copy of Windows 8.1 Pro. Everything was humming away just fine till I installed Suitcase. After the reboot the laptop could still access the local LAN just fine, but wouldn’t access anything beyond the router. Flashing back to a restore point before installation resolved the issue.

I have since installed Suitcase 3 times and restored 3 different previous states, each time with the same result. Once it didn’t block access till the 3rd reboot after install, and once I got access back briefly by shutting down Bonjour. Is Bonjour really necessary on a single machine install?? I remember it causing problems years ago.

Usually this happens if Bonjour starts before your machine has received an IP address from your DHCP server. If you set the Bonjour Service to run as ‘Automatic (Delayed Start)’ rather than ‘Automatic’, it should resolve the problem, giving the machine enough time to get an IP address before the service starts.