Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Illustrator 2015.3 crashes on launch while SF7 plugin activates fonts

ISSUE:

When I double-click on an Adobe Illustrator file to open it (without Illustrator already running) if there are fonts in the document that need to be activated by Suitcase, Illustrator crashes right after the fonts are activated in Suitcase. The error message that is displayed is “Adobe Illustrator 2015.3 quit unexpectedly”.

If Illustrator is already running when opening the same document, it does not crash and the fonts are activated as expected.

The key factor here is that if Illustrator is running before the document is opened, no crash. If it is not, it will crash.

I have tested this in two different environments with two different operating systems. The behavior is the same on both.

I had previously used Suitcase 6 with Adobe Creative Suite 2015 in one of the two environments I tested. This behavior did not occur.

ENVIRONMENT:

• Suitcase 7 Ver: 18.1.0 (1042)
  • Adobe Illustrator Ver: 2015.3.0

Tested in both environments:

• New stock build Mac Pro (Late 2013) w/ OSX 10.11.5
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15”, Mid 2015) w/ OSX 10.10.5

=============================================================

Beginning of crash log for 10.11.5 environment

=============================================================

Process: Adobe Illustrator [919]
Path: /Applications/Adobe Illustrator CC 2015.3/Adobe Illustrator.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Illustrator
Identifier: com.adobe.illustrator
Version: 20.0.0 (20.0.0)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Adobe Illustrator [919]

Date/Time: 2016-07-11 08:36:28.021 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)

System Integrity Protection: enabled
Crashed Thread: 0 Main Thread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Hi!

Thanks for the report, do you think you could attach the full AI crashlog? That way we can take a look at it so we can see what is happening during the crash.

Thanks!
-Clint

You can download the crash log at the link below:

http://phxco.net/_7mMV-GQYTKYR3R

Thanks! I will let you know what we find.

-Clint

Hi!

It doesn’t look like Illustrator is even getting to the plug-in to activate fonts in the case of this crash. It looks like AI is attempting to read a string from the version comments, attempting to convert that string and then crashing.

Here is a snippet from the crashlog:

Thread 0 Crashed:: Main Thread  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   com.adobe.ICUConverter        	0x0000000107e9203b icu_4_0::UnicodeString::copyFrom(icu_4_0::UnicodeString const&, signed char) + 43
1   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x00000001006fa8b6 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 595414
2   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x0000000100b2a4b2 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 4985298
3   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x0000000100b24918 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 4961848
4   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x0000000100b2684c AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 4969836
5   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x0000000100b68487 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 5239207
6   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x000000010075114f AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 949871
7   com.adobe.illustrator         	0x00000001009a49d2 AWS_CUI_GetVersionComments(OpaqueWindowPtr*, adobe::q::QDocument&, adobe::q::QString&, adobe::q::QAttributeList&, adobe::q::QDocument*, adobe::q::QProject*, long) + 3389170

Normally if the plug-in were causing the crash we would see information about the plug-in at the top of the crashed thread (which in this case is thread 0). I do see the plug-in is loaded but it isn’t being implicated in this particular crash.

The easiest check would be to remove the plug-in and attempt to open the document in the same way and see if it crashes, the crashlog indicates that AI is crashing without us getting in the way.

Let me know if you have more questions!

-Clint

If I remove the plug-in, Illustrator opens the same document without crashing. So I have a document open without the fonts active.

Turn the plug-in back on… crash on launch.

With the plug-in installed, if I manually activate the fonts used in the document using Suitcase prior to opening the document, Illustrator does not crash.

I have about 30 people I need to role out the Adobe Creative Cloud update to. I was planning on using Suitcase as our font management solution. I guess my question would be, does the plug-in work for you in your environment and if so, what can I do to make it work here?

Thanks for your time,

Hi!

Yes, the plug-in works fine for me, I wasn’t able to reproduce the crash you are seeing when following the steps.

At this point it is probably best to have you contact Technical Support so they can walk through some troubleshooting as well as gather your document to see if they can reproduce the issue.

Please contact Support: http://www.extensis.com/company/contact-us/.

-Clint

Hello,

I am having the same issue as @stuartlawson. Is there a solution?

Testing environments:

• New stock build Mac Pro (Late 2013) w/ OSX 10.11.5
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15”, Mid 2015) w/ OSX 10.11.5

Hi,

Sorry you are having issues with Illustrator. As with the OP, we suggest you contact Technical Support so they can do some troubleshooting as well as gather your document to see if they can reproduce the issue.

You can contact our Support team using the link below:

https://www.extensis.com/company/contact-us/

Contacted support. Thanks.

Hi Vira,

Any luck with your support contact?

I ran their test script on my Mac and sent them the results, but have not heard back.

I did a new clean install of everything today and the results are the same.

I’m also finding that Illustrator is crashing randomly when I quit the application (this is when I have manually activated the fonts in Suitcase).

Upgraded the OS to 10.11.6 and retested:

Suitcase 7 Ver: 18.1.0 (1042)
Adobe Illustrator Ver: 2015.3.0
New stock build Mac Pro (Late 2013) w/ OSX 10.11.6

Same results. Illustrator crashes on launch when double-clicking on the document in the Finder.

Remove the Suitcase plugin and Illustrator does not crash.

This is the Extensis tech support response:

There is currently no known issue of:
Illustrator CC 2015.3 crashes when I double click a file in Finder to open and Illustrator is not running with SF7 version 18.1 on OS X 10.11.5
I have passed your files on to to our DEV team for analysis and will report back with their findings.

Hi Stuart,

I got your sample files from TS and was able to reproduce the crash (thanks for sending them in). I will have the team investigate it and let you know the status once we figure out what is up.

Thanks!

-Clint

Hi Vira!

I suspect your issue is the same as Stuart’s.Once I have a better idea of what is causing the crash I will update you both here with my info!

Thanks for using Suitcase Fusion 7!

-Clint

I have the same problem.

Well, it’s been 24 days now and still no resolution. I hope Extensis plans on continuing development of Suitcase as a product. At this point we need to move forward with a solution that will not keep our business from being productive. Hang in there Extensis, we are rooting for you. We would like to stick with Suitcase as a font management utility, but it looks as if we may need to look for an alternative now.

Hi Stuart,

Maybe you missed my personal message to you but this issue has been identified and fixed and will be in our next release (18.1.1) here in the near future. I don’t have an exact date but will notify you when I know for sure.

If you have an questions feel free to shoot me a private message.

Thanks!
-Clint

We have released Suitcase Fusion 18.1.1 which includes a fix for the reported Illustrator issue. Thanks again for your testing and feedback!

To install this update:

• Launch Suitcase Fusion 7 and choose Suitcase Fusion 7> Check for Updates (OS X) or Tools > Check for Updates (Win)

• Or, download and run the latest installer

See the product release notes for complete details or read more about the release and ask questions over on the Extensis blog.

Installed the update 18.1.1 along with the Adobe Illustrator CC (2015.3.1) update of (Aug 10, 2016) and everything works great.

Thanks for your work!