Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Fusion 5 Auto-Activation and CC2014 Issues

I have recently downloaded Adobe CC2014 and am having issues. I have done an uninstall and clean re-install of the latest version of Fusion 5 and still have the same errors/issues. They are as follows:

In Photoshop CC2014: The Extensis Plug-in could not locate a running copy of the FMCore application. Auto-activation plug-in functionality will be disabled.

Auto-Activation not working in InDesign CC 2014

Auto-Activation not working in Illustrator CC 2014

I’m running a new MacPro
Processor 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5
Memory 12 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 ECC
Graphics AMD FirePro D300 2048 MB
Software OS X 10.9.4 (13E28)

Everything worked perfectly until I installed CC2014 so I think that’s probably more of the issue, but the new release of Fusion 5 was supposed to make it compatible. Obviously it hasn’t.

OK, after much frustration, I think I’ve figured it out.

What happened was when I installed Photoshop CC2014 it pulled the Extensis CS7 plug-in forward. When I ran the updater to Suitcase for CC2014 compatibility, it installed the 2014 plugin but did not overwrite or delete the CS7 plugin/extension. As a result, I was running both extensions and they were conflicting, causing all sorts of nastiness.

Once I deleted the CS7 plugin and restarted, PS CC2014 has been running perfectly.

I’m not sure why that would have any effect on Illustrator or InDesign, but I am no longer receiving the error messages in those programs either.

Interesting report.

I tried to see if I could reproduce the issue, but for whatever reason I had no problems. The CC plugins weren’t migrated to CC 2014 in any of the apps.

I have also been having issues with the most recent version of Suitcase Fusion 5 and InDesign CC2014. I have experienced a series of problems while working in InDesign files, from not being able to save or save as, to seeing a progress bar showing that Suitcase is locating all the fonts every time I attempt to save, to the InDesign screen flashing and not letting me select a replacement font in the Find Font window. Over the last few days, I have tried an enormous number of tests to isolate the problem, but what has come closest (allowing me to at least work in InDesign and save the results) is to deactivate autoactivation from within InDesign and open all the fonts manually or put them into the system folder. I have, for the moment disabled all of the autoactivation plug-ins in Suitcase.

Most of the files I’m have trouble with were originally built in the just previous version of InDesign CC, then reopened in InDesign CC2014 after a Creaative Cloud upgrade.

Any light you can shed on this issue would be more than appreciated.

ddcoolj,

What you’re describing is probably too complex to effectively troubleshoot via this forum. Please contact my support team via the details on this page: extensis.com/support/ and someone will assist you.

Will do. In the meantime, I’ve reverted to InDesign CS6 and everything is working fine. But I STILL want to know…
Thanks.

[quote=“ddcoolj”]I have also been having issues with the most recent version of Suitcase Fusion 5 and InDesign CC2014. I have experienced a series of problems while working in InDesign files, from not being able to save or save as, to seeing a progress bar showing that Suitcase is locating all the fonts every time I attempt to save, to the InDesign screen flashing and not letting me select a replacement font in the Find Font window. Over the last few days, I have tried an enormous number of tests to isolate the problem, but what has come closest (allowing me to at least work in InDesign and save the results) is to deactivate autoactivation from within InDesign and open all the fonts manually or put them into the system folder. I have, for the moment disabled all of the autoactivation plug-ins in Suitcase.

Most of the files I’m have trouble with were originally built in the just previous version of InDesign CC, then reopened in InDesign CC2014 after a Creaative Cloud upgrade.

Any light you can shed on this issue would be more than appreciated.[/quote]

I too have been having the same issues as ddcoolj since the latest update of Suitcase. It also causes Preflight to hang and various other anomalies. Turning off auto-activation instantly stops all of the problems. It doesn’t appear to be an OS issue as it’s occurring on OS 10.7.5, 10.8.5 and 10.9. Has there been any light shed on this yet??

I’m having this same problem, or a similar one. I updated to the latest version of Suitcase Fusion 5 on my mac (Lion 10.7.5 on a Mac Pro Tower (dual 2.66 intel xeon, 10GB RAM).

Doesn’t matter if I use InDesign CC or InDesign CC 2014, there is an endless loop of activation attempts. I’ve tried disabling all but one version of the Auto Activation Plugin (for example, leaving only active the suite of CC 2014 plugins, then dropping back to CC versions) with the same issue repeating itself.

Spinning Beachball - “Searching for fonts” dialogue - screen flash - repeat

Help! I deal with documents with dozens of fonts active, all different versions. I need my font sense etc!

James

I have the same problem as above in InDesign CC 2014 (Mac). Frame is blinking, resizing text- or illustration frames doesn’t work at times (grab a handle to resize, InDesign blinks and the handle is automatically released).

Turned auto-activation plugin for CC2014 off and that seems to help.

Same here, very slow, beach ball…
when can we expect a fix?

Hi again,

We would like to find a solution to this issue, but it’s difficult since we don’t know the steps that are involved, nor details about your systems. I know that you have tight deadlines, but if you have a moment to troubleshoot, please contact the Extensis support team, either via the online form extensis.com/support/

The more we find out about the issue, the better the chances our that our developers can find a solution.

Thank you!

This is not limited to CC2014. I am having the same slow down in all of my versions of InDesign. It constantly looks for missing fonts and keeps popping open the missing font dialog box. The only solution for now is to de-activate auto-activation once a file has opened up and the fonts are temporarily active. By doing this, it no longer searches for fonts that may or may not be missing. This has brought the speed of ID back to normal.

Hopefully Extensis sees this issue quickly and figures out a patch. Until then, auto-ativation is dead to me. . .

[quote=“Marinka”]I have the same problem as above in InDesign CC 2014 (Mac). Frame is blinking, resizing text- or illustration frames doesn’t work at times (grab a handle to resize, InDesign blinks and the handle is automatically released).

Turned auto-activation plugin for CC2014 off and that seems to help.[/quote]

I’ve experienced the same problem running CC 2014 on Mac OS 10.8.5. Trouble selecting fonts or type size, leading, etc. from menus because it seems to release the handle, almost as if the mouse is faulty. But it’s only when working with type in InDesign. I’ve also noticed the random blinking Marinka writes of. The problems go away instantly when I turn off auto-activation.

I had problems with auto-activation when working with CC, too. Only then it was the dreaded inability to Save or Save As issue. I’m disappointed that similar problems persist.

[quote=“Mark”]

[quote=“Marinka”]I have the same problem as above in InDesign CC 2014 (Mac). Frame is blinking, resizing text- or illustration frames doesn’t work at times (grab a handle to resize, InDesign blinks and the handle is automatically released).

Turned auto-activation plugin for CC2014 off and that seems to help.[/quote]

I’ve experienced the same problem running CC 2014 on Mac OS 10.8.5. Trouble selecting fonts or type size, leading, etc. from menus because it seems to release the handle, almost as if the mouse is faulty. But it’s only when working with type in InDesign. I’ve also noticed the random blinking Marinka writes of. The problems go away instantly when I turn off auto-activation.

I had problems with auto-activation when working with CC, too. Only then it was the dreaded inability to Save or Save As issue. I’m disappointed that similar problems persist.[/quote]

Same here.
forums.adobe.com/message/6693538
Is there any news/fix on this?

OSX Mavericks 10.9.4
Adobe Creative Cloud 2014
InDesign 10.0.0.7 Build
Suitcase Fusion 5 16.2.4 (is currently the newest version available.)

Hey, extensis…any chance of something even as simple as a “we’re working on this issue” to let us know you actually read this???

Hello Folks,

I was just informed that our developers have found the root cause of this issue and are working on a solution. I do not have at timeline yet as to when it will be released. Please stay tuned.

Yay!

Good. Looking forwards to get things working again.

We have recently identified a bug in the Suitcase Fusion 5 auto-activation plugin for InDesign.

The issue causes selections (menus, tools, etc.) in InDesign to lose focus (i.e. flash or blink) every 3 to 5 seconds when our auto-activation plugin is attempting to activate an entire font family and the family used in the document creates a font conflict with Mac OSX system fonts (Courier, Geneva, Helvetica, Helvetica Neue, Times, etc.).

The issue affects all versions of InDesign but is especially noticeable in InDesign CC 2014.

Workaround:

In InDesign, choose Type > Suitcase Fusion Auto-Activation Preferences and set them as follows in the attached screenshot:

The key box to un-check is “Activate entire font family”.

This will allow you to return to a normal workflow with InDesign and still use SF5 to auto-activate your fonts.

Our development team is working on a solution.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Thank you!