Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Extensis forcing a paid upgrade to SF6 for Win10 Users?

On upgrading my machine to Windows 10 last week - I started getting an error about FMCORE.exe every system reboot.

Uninstalling my registered copy of Suitcase Fusion 5 did not work to get rid of this error. Nor did re-installing SF5.

There was no notice from Extensis about this issue that I could find. Coming to this forum the only mentions I see about this is a post from a user that says when they upgraded to SF6, this fixed the problem.

However - SF6 is a paid upgrade. Its another $60.00 to get this program (that already we paid for) to work with a new version of the O/S.

Can someone from Extensis officially confirm or deny that the company allowed this program to die under Windows 10 without a paid upgrade? Thanks

PS: Suitcase Fusion is the only one of my programs that I had installed on WIn 8.1 that gave me any problems at all after the upgrade. Every single one of the other programs either gave me no trouble whatsoever, or offered a FREE upgrade to handle any compatibility issues.

@vongoh and reviewers of this post,

Thanks for your inquiry. Hopefully I’ve fully answered your questions below as well as how Extensis handles product compatibility updates.

It is never our intent to allow a version of Suitcase to “die” with an OS update but it does happen.
Companies like Apple and Microsoft (recently) are moving faster to deliver annual OS updates. Microsoft’s most recent OS changes affected our compatibility so we had to spend a fair amount of time fixing our software to work with theirs.

WINDOWS 10 COMPATIBILITY
Suitcase Fusion 5 (version 16.x) was replaced by version 6 (version 17.x) back in October 2014 and is currently the only version of Suitcase we are actively developing.

Suitcase Fusion 6 is compatible with Windows 10.
We recently provided this free update (version 17.2.0) including Win 10, Adobe CC2015 and QuarkXPress 2015 activation plugins. It’s available for download from the Extensis website.

OUR POLICY
Here is some insight into our current policy.
Extensis handles product cycles in the following ways:
There are “supported” and “actively developed” products. None, either or both of these can apply.

For example,
Suitcase Fusion 4 is no longer developed or supported by Extensis. It was discontinued around the release of version 6 last November/December.

Suitcase Fusion 5 is still supported by our Technical Support Team but is no longer developed by the Product Team. This means you can continue to call for product support but we do not make code changes to fix issues. It will most likely be discontinued at the next major release. We do notify our customers prior by email.

Suitcase Fusion 6 continues to be actively developed and supported at least until the next version becomes publicly available.

For more details, check out our support policies here:
extensis.com/support/support … -extensis/

We appreciate your business and strive to provide you the best font management software we can. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Cheers,
Chris