Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

Best Practice for El Capitan

What are the required fonts for EL Capitan? I have the GM version which should be the same version released Sept 30th. Should the makeup of my system fonts folder be the below listed fonts along with the new San Fran font?

Apple Color Emoji.ttf
AppleSDGothicNeo-Bold.otf
AppleSDGothicNeo-Regular.otf
Courier.dfont
Geneva.dfont
Helvetica.dfont
HelveticaNeue.dfont
HelveticaNeueDeskInterface.ttc
Keyboard.ttf
LastResort.ttf
LucidaGrande.ttc
Menlo.ttc
Monaco.dfont
Symbol.ttf
Times.font
San Fran font

I have the same question. Trying today to slim down my System library font folder (following the Extensis OS X Font Management Best Practices Guide) and it will not allow me to get rid of any fonts in there at all saying " ‘Fontname’ can’t be modified or deleted because it’s required by OS X."

My font lists are now overflowing with Chinese characters and truetype fonts that I never use. What is best practice now?

Using OS X 10.11 El Capitan with Suitcase Fusion 6 version 17.3.0

I see this has had no response from Extensis since the September and October of 2015 posts. Concerns me. I just upgraded to El Capitan 10.11.2 and am using SF6 17.3.1. I jumped from 54 system fonts to over 700 by the El Capitan upgrade. I’ve removed all from my /user/library/fonts, but I still show 279 system fonts in SF6 (89 suitcases in /system/library/fonts). As the others have mentioned, the OS refuses to allow any fonts to be removed from /system/library/fonts. What are the font best practices for El Capitan? What can be done to remove fonts from /system/library/fonts? I’m sure the three of us posting here are far from the only users having this issue. Please respond, even if to say it can’t be done.

I’m also in the same situation, still awaiting a response.

Found this helpful:
hellothisisjeff.com/font-management/
you can download a pdf with all the details from Panther to El Cap.
NB: open it with Acrobat. For some reason if I open it with Preview I get just one blank page.

[quote=“ShaunFerguson”]Found this helpful:
NB: open it with Acrobat. For some reason if I open it with Preview I get just one blank page.[/quote]

Thanks ShaunFerguson. That helps a lot.

Clearing /System/Library/Fonts went from 279 system fonts down to 147. Had been over 700 before clearing out the /Library/Fonts. Still almost 3x what I’m used to in Yosemite and earlier, but a lot easier to live with.

[quote=“ShaunFerguson”]Found this helpful:
NB: open it with Acrobat. For some reason if I open it with Preview I get just one blank page.[/quote]

Thank you for this link, very helpful indeed.