Extensis Logo SUPPORT | FORUMS | KNOWLEDGE BASE

API and IPTC fields

Hi There,

I was hoping you could provide me with some assistance. We are using your API for a client in order to do a search on a specific catalog.

The client has requested that we provide them with the following search options:

IPTC Keywords
IPTC Title
IPTC Description

Are these fields accessible and searchable via the API?

Many Thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Yes, you can search on all fields, including IPTC fields.

You can modify the example queries on this page, just replace the field names with the ones you want to search on:
doc.extensis.com/api/portfolio-s … ssets.html

Let us know if you have any questions on creating or executing queries.

Thanks,
-Loren

Thanks Loren.

I have went back to one of my developers and he has stated the following:

“Trouble is I don’t know what field is called exactly or what data an example contains. The reason being is that the API doesn’t return any fields called that.”

Are you able to provide any advice or confirm the exact field names?

Many Thanks,

Graeme

It sounds like those fields might not exist in that catalog. You may need to go into the admin app and enable those fields in that catalog.

Go to Catalogs->Manage Catalog Fields and in the top left Field Category, select IPTC. You should see a list of all the known IPTC fields. You can enable all or some of them. Then they should be returned in the call to getFieldDefinitions.

Let us know whether that works for you and we can take it from there.

Thanks!
-Loren

Hi Loren,

I have had the following back from our client:

“Just checked Portfolio admin app. The IPTC fields for “General Image Archive’ are all enabled, and have been since I set up the archive. As you can see from the attached screenshot of the admin page I’ve enabled all those that I can: others don’t have a tick box next to them, but they’re also live in the database.”

They also provided me with the attached screen shots.

Any ideas why these would not be getting returned?

Thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Try the following names:

IPTC - Keywords
IPTC - Title
File Description

Note the dashes are required.

Let me know if that works for you. Thanks!
-Loren

Hi Loren,

I think we are getting there with this one. Our developer has tried with the dashes and has came back with the following:

"The IPTC - Keywords search does return correct results it would appear. This field is odd however as I can not get it contents on the data returned. The return gives me “keywords” which looks to contain the same info as IPTC Keywords. "

Can you provide any further clarification on this?

Many Thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Unfortunately I’m having difficulty understanding the question. Can you provide more context or details, and the data that is being returned from that field and what you expect to get returned?

Alternately if it would be simpler for us to talk directly to the developer doing the work, let me know and we can make that happen.

Thanks,
-Loren